What happens when you bring together fire, metal, and masculinity?
Listen to Real Men Feel, #147, “Healing Men Through Metalwork” here:
My returning guest, Henry Johnstone, is a coach, mentor, speaker, artist, and podcaster. Henry recently completed leading his first men’s retreat which focused on metalwork. Transforming steel to transform yourself.
“Once I knew how to join steel to steel I found something that had been missing from my life; I was good at something.” ~ Henry Johnstone
Henry Johnstone joins us to discuss the molten power of metalwork when it comes to men’s work. The responsibility, sacrifice, creativity, and fun of working with fire and steel. Metalwork taps into something primal and awakens an essence of men that too many men have lost.
Topics and Questions Include:
- (3:18) The myth around talking about suicide.
- (4:28) What do you do to support someone?
- (7:48) What was so unique about your recent workshop/retreat?
- (9:30) What did working with steel show you was missing from your life?
- (12:14) Did someone introduce you to metalwork?
- (15:06) Were you creative and artistic before discovering your love of steel?
- (16:24) How did you find that this work helped other men?
- (19:05) What specifically did you do at the retreat?
- (24:59) What sort of results did the men have? The beat method
- (27:06) The alchemical process of transformation.
- (30:50) Preserving primal, aggressive masculinity.
- (32:31) The importance of accessing our primal aspect.
- (34:32) Do you plan more of these metal retreats?
- (39:34) The mystical process of creativity; sacrifice and honor.
- (40:34) What is Henry’s grand vision?
- (43:43) The power of community and service.
- (46:03) Building rapport with steel or people.
- (51:09) Getting in touch with Henry for next workshop.
- (54:00) Men Helping Men group
- (55:52) What is one thing you wish more men knew?
Watch Real Men Feel, #147, Healing Men Through Metalwork, September 11, 2019
“No one has the power to tell you who you are or who you are destined to be.” ~ Henry Johnstone
Learn more about Henry at HenryJohnstone.org.
Check out the Inner Warrior: Reframing Masculinity Podcast on Facebook.
Listen to Henry’s first appearance on Real Men Feel – Making Purpose out of My Shit Pit
Explore the Men Helping Men group.
Let us know what you thought here in the comments or shoot an email to [email protected].
Subscribe to the podcast at RealMenFeel.org/iTunes
Like the Real Men Feel show on Facebook facebook.com/realmenfeelshow
Scroll down to the author bio for all the links to access more #RealMenFeel
A version of this post was previously published on RealMenFeel.org and is republished here with permission from the author.
If you believe in the work we are doing here at The Good Men Project and want to join our calls on a regular basis, please join us as a Premium Member, today.
All Premium Members get to view The Good Men Project with NO ADS.
A $50 annual membership gives you an all-access pass. You can be a part of every call, group, class, and community.
A $25 annual membership gives you access to one class, one Social Interest group, and our online communities.
A $12 annual membership gives you access to our Friday calls with the publisher, our online community.
Register New Account
Need more info? A complete list of benefits is here.
Photo courtesy Henry Johnstone