On November 21, 2019, I celebrated the birth of my son,
Jemal. He turned 50 years old. At the moment he was born and I held him for the
first time, I made a promise that I would be a better father than my father was
able to be for me. I also vowed to do everything I could to bring about a world
where men were fully engaged with their families throughout their lives. That
was also the beginning of MenAlive and my writing career. November 21st is
also the official launch date of my book, 12 Rules for Good Men.
I’ve been very fortunate to be making a living doing the
work that I love. 12 Rules for Good Men is my 16th book and
follows ground-breaking studies on sex, love, and intimacy that produced
international best-sellers Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places,
Surviving Male Menopause, The Irritable Male Syndrome: Understanding and
Managing the 4 Key Causes of Depression and Aggression and The
Enlightened Marriage: The 5 Transformative Stages of Relationships and Why the
Best is Still to Come.
12 Rules for Good Men addresses all these issues and
much more. It celebrates the gift of maleness and offers twelve actions men can
take to improve their lives:
- Rule #1: Join a Men’s Group.
- Rule #2: Break Free From the Man Box.
- Rule #3: Accept the Gift of Maleness.
- Rule #4: Embrace Your Billion Year Male History.
- Rule #5: Recognize Your Anger and Fear of Women.
- Rule #6: Learn the Secrets of Real, Lasting,
- Rule #7: Undergo Meaningful Rites of Passage.
- Rule #8: Celebrate Your True Warrior Spirit and
Learn Why Male Duel and Females Duet.
- Rule #9: Understand and Heal Your Adverse
- Rule #10: Heal Your Father Wound and Become the
Father You Were Meant to Be.
- Rule #11: Treat the Irritable Male Syndrome and
- Rule #12: Find Your Mission in Life and Do Your
Part to Save Humanity.
Colleagues who have read the book have had variety of
- “12 Rules for Good Men are the result of Jed’s
lifetime of leadership in men’s work and represents the power and wisdom of an
elder of the men’s movement. In a world of dramatic change, where men are
seeking more compassionate meaning and purpose in our lives, Diamond provides a
roadmap for healing and connection. 12 Rules for Good Men is a
powerful invitation for men to end our isolation and heal our deep wounds, and
in doing so, help heal the wounds of the world.” – Mark Greene, Executive
editor, the Good Men Project, and author, The Little #MeToo Book for Men.
- “I’ve known and appreciated Jed’s work for more
than 40 years. 12 Rules for Good Men is a wonderfully helpful guide
for both men and women.” John Gray, best-selling author of Men
Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus.
- “This is an essential guide for both men and
women. It offers real support for men and helps women understand what good men
really need.” Iyanla Vanzant, Host of Iyanla Fix My Life on
the Oprah Winfrey Network.
I wrote 12 Rules for Good Men to help with some of
the most important issues facing men today including:
- Why loneliness is the greatest killer of men and
why all men need to be in a men’s group.
- How the Man Box restricts who we can become and
how we can break free.
- The secret history of maleness and why men are
good and can become great.
- Why men frighten women, how women shame men, and
what both can do to heal.
- How the 5 stages of love can guide and enlighten
- What is at the root of male anger and how to
treat the Irritable Male Syndrome.
12 Rules for Good Men is available now. You can order
the book directly from me here. For
those who order from me right away, I’m also offering my new program
“Everything You Wanted to Know About Men: The Good Men Revolution” for
free. It details 21 truths that will help you understand why men are the way
they are, feel the things they feel, and do the things they do.
As an added “thank you,” the first 200 people who order will
receive a personally signed and numbered copy of the book. Since there are
15,000 people on my mailing list, I expect these special-edition copies will go
This article first appeared on Jed’s